Friday 22 June 2012

Reflections on the term


Well, I've certainly learnt a lot about Maya, that's for sure. For a week, the software was repeatedly crashing on me for an apparently unknown reason and I was unable to work. But thankfully after a couple of visits to see Alex Hulse at Ravensbourne, we managed to get to the bottom of the problem.

I then encountered another problem. Rendering. I've had this ongoing issue of being unable to render with my machine, and I had absolutely no idea why. I've only had the laptop a couple of months, so I was positive it couldn't be a hardware issue. I'd formatted it twice, reinstalled OSX and then tried versions 2011, 2012 & 2013 of Maya. No joy.

I had carried out numerous searches online to try and diagnose the problem, but then, eventually, I did find a solution. It seems it's a quirky thing that happens in Maya. I won't bore you with the details but there is a way round it. Thank goodness.

Well, whilst problems do occur you do learn from finding solutions to them, and I have definitely experienced that on more than one occasion this term. I can also now appreciate how long to leave myself to render, as although I began testing two days ago, i'm still working and tweaking things right up to the deadline. Generally, I feel I have covered an enormous amount of ground on the course considering I only started halfway through the second term.

After my initial troubles getting going with this module, I have thoroughly enjoyed working on it, and i'm happy with my final piece. I have put a lot of time and care into it, and I hope that comes across in the final animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment