Sunday 17 June 2012

Lighting the set

As I had completed my animation, I turned my concentration to improving the appearance of the scene.

I found a couple of useful tutorials online which covered basic 3-point lighting and started to implant the techniques into my setup. I started with a basic spotlight directly at the two characters from outside the scene and adjusted the attributes to suit.



I then added a directional light (coming down from the lamp) which acts as a backlight for the two characters. I also added two area lights at each end of the room, to light those areas. I reduced the intensity on these lights as I learnt that you should have one, dominant main light, then the fill lights should compliment it. 

This was my initial 3-point light set up:


I got some very nice effects with raytracing and final gathering. I also put an off-whitish tint on the area lights to give a warmer feel to the scene:




No comments:

Post a Comment