Friday 22 June 2012

Final Submission Piece



I am happy with my final piece. I feel that I have managed to create appealing characters, capture the emotion and convey the light-hearted, comical nature of the scene. I used the principles of animation as a guide, but I did not try to force them into my scene.

I feel there were areas for improvement, particularly at the ending with the side on shot where the two characters laugh. With more time spent on this shot, I could have loosened up the movement and made them (particularly Bill) look less wooden as they jolt forward and backward with laughter. The bit where Hrundi turns back to Bill and says, 'Ooh sir, I've seen all of your films', he mainly turns his head, and I feel he could also turn his body (perhaps his shoulders) a little more too as he focuses back on Bill. Also when Hrundi pulls his hand away, then as it comes down, I could have added and tweaked another frame or two in-between, just before it comes to rest. I feel it does look a touch jerky as it comes down.

I found out a lot about lighting during the making of this piece and felt I implemented it to good effect through trial and error. I also played with the mise-en-scene, moving objects such as the beer can around the pool table to balance out the shots. I initially had the can on the table behind Bill, but this left a big gap in the frame when the camera was focused on Hrundi. I think the placement works well for all camera angles. I also arranged the shot on Bill so the lamp sat in the corner of the frame, again to try and balance out the shot.

I also discovered how to tile textures in the hypergraph for the carpet, and created Lambert and Blinn colours for the matte areas of the scene, the gloss effect on the pool balls and the reflective metal edges of the table. I modelled the pool cue from two separate cylinders, deleted faces, merged vertices and textured each part.

I have learnt an enormous amount from creating this scene, and I am confident that I can now take this knowledge forward into future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment